The primary goal of the Food Handler's Certification Program, first adopted in 1978, is to prevent foodborne illness through education. The program applies to anyone whose job includes the handling of food, beverages or utensils.
All employees must have a current Food Handler Certificate within ONE WEEK of beginning employment at a food facility.
StateFoodSafety.com is the only online food handler training and exam program that is approved in Riverside County. All other training providers are NOT approved. You can only get a valid food handler card online through StateFoodSafety.com or from one of our area offices.
How to Obtain a Food Handler Card
To receive a Food Handler's Certificate, an employee must use one of the following three methods:
Method 1: Train, test, and print certificate online
Purchase and complete the StateFoodSafety.com online food handler training course and test. Following completion print out your official Riverside County Food Handler Certificate. Tests are available in 6 languages and only cost $27. Click here to get started.
Method 2: Read the manual and test at the Environmental Health Department
Go to any one of the Area Offices and read the study manual, provide identification, pay the $27.00 registration fee, and take and pass the 50 question examination (A passing score is 35 or more correct answers)
Method 3: Read the manual, optionally watch videos online, test at the Environmental Health Department
Download and read the study manual, go to any one of the Area Offices, provide identification, pay the $27.00 registration fee, and take and pass the 50 question examination (A passing score is 35 or more correct answers)
- If the applicant has difficulty reading or understanding the exam, they may make arrangements to bring someone with them to assist with translation.
- A person who fails the exam may retake it a maximum of two additional times within seven (7) days of the initial testing date at no additional charge.
- Certificates are valid for TWO years.
- Post the original in-office Food Handler Certificate at your place of employment - photocopies are not accepted; or print a copy of the Certificate if you took the online version.
- Duplicate or lost certificates for Online Users: If you took your training and test online, you may print a new or duplicate certificate directly from the website at no cost.
- If you took your test at one of the Area Locations, and your original certificate is lost or a second certificate is needed for an additional job site, a duplicate certificate can be issued at no cost. For an additional certificate, simply visit the office where the test was originally passed, provide valid identification and the approximate month the exam was taken.
For information concerning exam times and dates, or for arranging on site testing for a large group of employees, contact the area office nearest you.